Friday, December 4, 2009

Feed My Starving Children

The girls and I had a wonderful experience volunteering for Feed My Starving Children. First I must say that I had every intention of showing you wonderful pictures....I even took some great shots! But alas.....I found out after the fact that the memory stick was NOT in my camera and so I have not one shot of our time there. So I'll have to do my best with words alone. Sorry.

This Christian organization ships food to starving children around the world. They are completely run by volunteers. I think what impressed me the most was how they had simplified and organized their operation such that children/volunteers could do it all! There were kids assigned to every aspect of the operation from beginning to end. It was extremely efficient! What a marvelous experience!! We were scheduled for 2 hours. They gave us our instructions, we prepared the food and then cleaned and washed up. Everything was then ready for the next crew of volunteers. There were several work stations. Our group of 10 children and 3 mamas worked together at one of them. The kids measured all the dried food, put it into individual bags, weighed each one, sealed it and boxed it up! Ready to be shipped! Altogether in our short time there we made 16 boxes with 36 bags each. That's 576 meals!! At the end our entire group of 150 people gathered around the completed boxes, shrink wrapped on pallets, and prayed. It was a special moment as we prayed over the food we had prepared. The lady in charge said that in 22 years, they've only had 2 shipments lost or stolen, and not reach their final destination.

The kids had such a great time serving together. They also came away with a great appreciation of all the yummy food we have here in America. We are truly blessed! And we have so much to be thankful for!

1 comment:

RCUBEs said...

What a great way to show your children what "giving from the heart" truly means. There are so many hungry people, even here in USA. One act of kindness sometimes can make all the difference. To God be the glory! God bless you all and keep you.